RSS

Monthly Archives: November 2009

New Tools and detail work in progress

As I started to cut some thin strips of Mahogany I discovered I did not have a tool capable of doing a decent job.     I tried to avoid buying even more tools then I already have but the need for a band saw became apparent.    I looked into new, but decided to find a better quality used on Craig’s List.     While I didn’t find any top of the line band saws for sale this week, I did find a good buy on a Craftsman band saw along with a table saw and jointer/router at a very low price.   I picked up all three for 1/2 the cost of a new low end band saw.

This week I completed by new building jig, purchased my new “used” tools,  and did a fair amount of sanding and shaping.     Here are some close up photo’s of the work in progress.

Working on the Stem bevel.

Here is a detail of the building jig and bracing holding the keel in place.

Clear view of building jib and a bulkhead with cross spall attached.

I also started work on the Transom assembly.

Dry fitting of the transom assembly. A small dremel tool routed out the cut outs for a tight fit.

Advertisements
 
1 Comment

Posted by on November 20, 2009 in Building Stage

 

Delays, decisions, and advancement

I can’t believe it has been almost a full month since my last post.    I have made progress on the boat construction even though a few competing projects have reduced my construction hours.

We are remodeling our guest bath, and even though I am not involved with the actual destruction/construction process I have been very involved with the design and selection process of bathtubs, fixtures, tile, cabinets, lights, and granite tops.   We are using our trusted tradesman Jose to manage all the demolition and construction processes.

Getting back to the boat construction.   I have been assembling the backbone of the boat for several weeks.   The centerboard case has been covered in fiberglass.

Inside centerboard case

Inside of centerboard case is epoxy sheathed with a layer of fiberglass.

I was not happy with the basic design of the centerboard pivot.   While I was assured by the designer that the epoxy and glass bearing surface would not wear out I was concerned enough to make a few modifications to this section of the centerboard case.   This area is sealed and cannot be easily repaired if worn out so I researched and found some carbon fiber tape that I epoxied to the inner layer of the pivot slide.   Here is a picture of the area of concern and the following photo is a practice installation of the carbon fiber tape.

Centerboard pivot bearing surface

Glide for centerboard pivot

Carbon Fiber Tape

Sample application of Carbon Fiber Tape. I will use this on my Centerboard pivot glide.

The installation of the Carbon Fiber tape went well and I was able to finish the interior of the centerboard case with a coat of primer, and then two finished coats of  graphite filled epoxy.

Centerboard case with primer

Primed centerboard case ready for carbon fiber and graphite application

graphite epoxy coating

Interior centerboard case with graphite epoxy coating

Once the graphite epoxy cured I laminated the two halves of the backbone together and after curing, set the now completed backbone on the bench and dry fitted the bulkheads.  This is the first view that actually looks like it could be a boat someday.

Bulkheads dry fitted to backbone

Dry fitting the bulkheads to the backbone

I have now reached a stage where my work table has served it’s initial purpose, (construction of the backbone).  I have taken the table apart and made two smaller work tables and have constructed a building frame for the next phase of construction.  Here is a picture of the new building jig with the backbone held in position by two stabilizing frames located on the front and rear cross members.

Building Jig

My new building jig.

 
3 Comments

Posted by on November 10, 2009 in Building Stage