RSS

Delays, decisions, and advancement

10 Nov

I can’t believe it has been almost a full month since my last post.    I have made progress on the boat construction even though a few competing projects have reduced my construction hours.

We are remodeling our guest bath, and even though I am not involved with the actual destruction/construction process I have been very involved with the design and selection process of bathtubs, fixtures, tile, cabinets, lights, and granite tops.   We are using our trusted tradesman Jose to manage all the demolition and construction processes.

Getting back to the boat construction.   I have been assembling the backbone of the boat for several weeks.   The centerboard case has been covered in fiberglass.

Inside centerboard case

Inside of centerboard case is epoxy sheathed with a layer of fiberglass.

I was not happy with the basic design of the centerboard pivot.   While I was assured by the designer that the epoxy and glass bearing surface would not wear out I was concerned enough to make a few modifications to this section of the centerboard case.   This area is sealed and cannot be easily repaired if worn out so I researched and found some carbon fiber tape that I epoxied to the inner layer of the pivot slide.   Here is a picture of the area of concern and the following photo is a practice installation of the carbon fiber tape.

Centerboard pivot bearing surface

Glide for centerboard pivot

Carbon Fiber Tape

Sample application of Carbon Fiber Tape. I will use this on my Centerboard pivot glide.

The installation of the Carbon Fiber tape went well and I was able to finish the interior of the centerboard case with a coat of primer, and then two finished coats of  graphite filled epoxy.

Centerboard case with primer

Primed centerboard case ready for carbon fiber and graphite application

graphite epoxy coating

Interior centerboard case with graphite epoxy coating

Once the graphite epoxy cured I laminated the two halves of the backbone together and after curing, set the now completed backbone on the bench and dry fitted the bulkheads.  This is the first view that actually looks like it could be a boat someday.

Bulkheads dry fitted to backbone

Dry fitting the bulkheads to the backbone

I have now reached a stage where my work table has served it’s initial purpose, (construction of the backbone).  I have taken the table apart and made two smaller work tables and have constructed a building frame for the next phase of construction.  Here is a picture of the new building jig with the backbone held in position by two stabilizing frames located on the front and rear cross members.

Building Jig

My new building jig.

Advertisements
 
5 Comments

Posted by on November 10, 2009 in Building Stage

 

5 responses to “Delays, decisions, and advancement

  1. Anonymous

    February 8, 2019 at 10:52 am

    Hi Stan, I was wondering how the canvas deck and seat covering was holding up, I’m getting ready to use the technique on a Vardo Gypsy Wagon, I’ve seen many old wooden boats done this way.

     
    • twsg2009

      February 10, 2019 at 7:16 am

      The canvas deck is holding up exceptionally well. No problems keeping clean. I do store in a covered garage. Check out other youtube videos on application and you should be good to go with this techniqu​​e.

       
  2. Aarnoud

    September 5, 2017 at 9:04 am

    Hi Stan, don’t know if you’re still into replying to your blog, but I’ll give it a go anyway 😉

    I’ve recently started building an Ebihen 16 (your blog has been very inspriring, thanks!) and came up to the point of sheeting the centreboard case. Could you tell me wheter you did any surface treatment of the graphite epoxy on the inside? I’ve done 2 layers of epoxy on top of the glass sheeting, and the surface looks neat and shiny from a distance but feels sandpaper-like.

    And how is the inside of your centreboard after a few years of sailing?

     
    • twsg2009

      September 5, 2017 at 1:52 pm

      I did layer the inside surface of the centerboard case with graphite in my epoxy mix. It coated black and was very slippery feeling when done. I didn’t do anything else except probably sanding smooth. (though I don’t remember how much sanding was done if any. I think the added graphite to the epoxy mix made it pretty smooth to begin with) Condition of the centerboard well appears to be as good as new, though I do store the boat inside the garage and only sail a dozen times a year.

       
  3. Ralph

    November 15, 2009 at 2:42 pm

    It is looking very nice. You must be feeling very confident when you make changes and modifications to the design. Very impressive. However, I may now need to wait until after 4 voyages to get in the boat.

    Great job. See you Wednesday.

     

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s