RSS

Monthly Archives: February 2010

Getting out the planks, attaching the garboards

A few weeks have passed since my last post.  After quickly scarfing my plywood and cutting out the boards I thought I would really start making some visual progress.

Cutting two boards at a time

Hull planking reading to be fit.

“NOT”   Seems that fitting the boards is more time consuming then it looks.   It takes a number of false fittings and checking of angles and bevels to make the proper fit.   Also I had to do a fair amount of board fairing towards the stem to allow for the proper bend.  My first board was not a good as my second, and my third has been harder then my first.

My first board

These screws are removed after epoxy has cured.

I had such difficulty with the bending of the garboard that I used a steamer to soften up the wood.  This worked, and I was able to get a fair bend, but after more thought and a check on the Internet.. It’s not a good idea to steam bend glued plywood.   The glue can be compromised if subjected to a lot of heat.  I was able to get good results with my steam tent and about 10 minutes of steam soaking, and I don’t think I damaged the glue, as it took the bend more naturally and cleaned up very well after drying, epoxy gluing, and sanding.  There was also no hint of any delamination in the thinner sections of ply.

Worked well, but not recommended on glued plywood.

Not recommended on plywood, but worked well to set bend before epoxy.

After finishing the garboard installation I adding epoxy fairing to the stem joints and attached the additional support board around the centerboard case opening on the keel.  I found that after turning the boat over for planking the centerboard opening had compressed or bowed inward.  This bowing was over an 1/8 inch and could have compromised the smooth operation of the centerboard if left uncorrected.   The plans call for this supporting plank to be installed in this area, and I had corrected the opening to the correct width for the prior two weeks with the correct thickness spacer.  Once this support board was installed the epoxy cured and the opening is now fair and at the correct width.

Verify no bowing in of center board slot when this support is attached.

Additional support for center board area

I have been working for the past three days on the third board.   I haven’t been able to get the correct bend in the board at the stem.  Once I made more substantial bevels to the forward bulkheads, and made up a group of board clamps I was able to finally get a good fit.   This photo shows the board in the proper position prior to epoxy gluing.   I am using the board clamps to hold the board in proper position and using mechanical clamps on the stem.  A few backing blocks are used as anchor points for the clamps too.   More screw points will be added too before disassembly and gluing.

Using board clamps, screws, and more clamps

Advertisements
 
3 Comments

Posted by on February 27, 2010 in Building Stage

 

Making scarfs and cutting the planks

The boat has been turned over and the daunting job of scarfing 4×8 sheets of plywood together has arrived. I have thought that this would be one of the harder task of my boat building. Turns out I was wrong! The process was very straight forward, and the results, good and rather fast too.

12/1 ratio set up for scarf

m

I started with a hand plane (slow and difficult)

This was easy!

Using a power plane made quick work of the scarf.   I was able to do all the boards at one time at the correct ratio.    I finished off each board individually with a belt sander using 80 grit paper.    A light touch until all the plywood layers are straight made each plywood scarf accurate.

Finished work with the power planer

All eight boards on edge showing the clean scarf lines

Thickened epoxy used to join the scarf

Clamps, weights, and wedges used to hold scarfs firmly

Laying down the plank lines

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on February 2, 2010 in Building Stage

 

Tags: , , , ,