I am working on the many small but time consuming details on ‘Alice Gale’. The Chain Plates have been installed on the gunwale. I used a Dremel tool to router out the through hole.
Monthly Archives: February 2011
During the building of Alice Gale I have spent time working out how I wanted the deck to be finished. For a long time I thought I would be making a wood finish, most likely mahogany striping from my wood left overs. While reviewing classical boat construction I learned about the use of canvas covering over the deck beams. A modification of this process for plywood decking using wood glue as a substrate sealer caught my attention. I really liked the idea of a classical look to the deck and appreciate the rougher non slip finish. An alternative solution that would look quite similar and much more durable would have been a Dynel cloth and epoxy finish. The WoodenBoat Forum has a lot of references on both Dynel and canvas covering. I decided on the canvas covering option primarily due to the simplicity of application.
The canvas is glued to the plywood deck with Titebond III wood glue. A generous amount of glue is spread evenly onto the plywood and a scrapper is used to push out any wrinkles. I started from the center bitt and worked outward to the gunwale. The edges are then stapled. After allowing the glue to dry overnight the entire decking is sealed with a mixture of Titebond glue diluted with 30% water. But first use a spray bottle of water and a household cloth iron to reactivate the glue and stretch out the canvas. The diluted glue is then painted on until the canvas is saturated throughout with the glue mixture.
Allow the glue to dry completely for several days before painting with a marine enamel. I will be painting the Alice Gale decking with the same two part marine enamel I am using for the interior hull. (System Three WR-LPU Polyurethane Topcoat, color Whidbey White)
I have made several modifications from the original Ebihen building plans. A significant change occurred when I had Mr. Vivier redesign the sail plan so that I could dip the mast under a local bridge. The sail plan has changed from a Gaff rigged sloop to a Lug Rigged Sloop. This change will allow for simpler sail management. The main sail has increased slightly in volume while the jib has decreased. A 4 degree mast rack has been added to the plan.
If you are interested in this sail plan please contact Francois Vivier. (Ebihen designer)
The original design calls for a cross seat, rowboat style (thwart), across the centerboard trunk. I have changed the seating to side seats along the gunwale. This required several new seat pillars (knees) to be designed. I did this redesign for personal and practical reasons, desiring better access forward and seating comfort for my sailing guests.