Another month has gone by and I have made some progress on the boat. After installation of the garboards I laminated the aft end where the outboard motor access hole will be cut out. Not shown is a four inch laminate along the garboard/keel joint. This was later epoxy filled and faired for a smooth finish.
Later the outboard motor hole will be cut out in this area
Tracing paper after detailed measurements for size and placement
The 3rd strake was added.
Primer added to first two boards and now fitting the 3rd.
The garboard stake has been laminated with a four inch cloth strip and faired to a smooth finish. Several coats of primer have been applied.
I also have finished out several internal spaces that will be inaccessable once I install another strake board. Using my finish paint for the first time, it reminds me of my childhood days using Revel model enamel.
This interior space will be enclosed after the next board, so finish work was completed
The false keel was fitted prior to the lamination and addition of the 3rd strake board.
Detail of the area to be faired on the centerboard trunk
Counter sunk and attached with stainless steel screws
I made this up to sand the interior of the centerboard trunk
The false stem was also constructed and fitted for later attachment after completion of all boards.
I made the stem out of oak pieces
Epoxy mixed with laminating thickener used, plastic to prevent sticking to bench
Back and forth between the boat and bench during the shaping process
Checking for fit
After the 3rd board was attached and many hours of sanding another coat of primer, I have started work on the brass keel band.
Raw stock, drilled for oval stainless steel screws
Drilled and ready for final alignment and keel fairing to the band.