This week I added another two of the planks to the hull and made the cutout for the outboard motor.
(Update on 8/10/10) I received a comment from a reader that pointed out that I have interpreted the plans incorrectly for the keel aft edge. To improve propeller efficiency the aft edge of the outer keel is streamlined. (see longitudinal structure plan). I took the plan literally and made a narrowing that somewhat matched what I saw on the plan. See the photo above. I only have a very narrrow indentation around the propeller shaft area. What I didn’t understand was how to read the plans as provided by the designer. What is necessary is a narrowing of the entire edge the WIDTH of the propeller and not just the small area that I accomplished. Future photo’s will show me changing this, but at the current time the hull has been painted and turned over, so I will not be making the improvement until nearly launch date. If you build the Ebihen 15 don’t use my photo above as a reference for your own boat.
I also roughed in the bow stem for location and placement of my u-shaped bow hook. I deviated from plans here. The original plan called for a laminated stem. I choose to make a scarfed solid oak stem. The plans call for only a hole cut into the laminated stem and a loop of rope. I want a bow hook that is attached directly to the boats backbone. I purchased a stainless steel U-bolt that is bolted directly through the backbone. It will not be a classic look, but I believe a much stronger and easier attachment location for the bowspirit and trailer straps.