RSS

Working the Planks, False Keel, and shaping the false Stem

02 Apr

Another month has gone by and I have made some progress on the boat.    After installation of the garboards I laminated the aft end where the outboard motor access hole will be cut out.  Not shown is a four inch laminate along the garboard/keel joint.  This was later epoxy filled and faired for a smooth finish.

Later the outboard motor hole will be cut out in this area

Tracing paper after detailed measurements for size and placement

The 3rd strake was added.

Primer added to first two boards and now fitting the 3rd.

The garboard stake has been laminated with a four inch cloth strip and faired to a smooth finish.    Several coats of primer have been applied.

I also have finished out several internal spaces that will be inaccessable once I install another strake board. Using my finish paint for the first time, it reminds me of my childhood days using Revel model enamel.

This interior space will be enclosed after the next board, so finish work was completed

The false keel was fitted prior to the lamination and addition of the 3rd strake board.

Detail of the area to be faired on the centerboard trunk

Counter sunk and attached with stainless steel screws

I made this up to sand the interior of the centerboard trunk

The false stem was also constructed and fitted for later attachment after completion of all boards.

I made the stem out of oak pieces

Epoxy mixed with laminating thickener used, plastic to prevent sticking to bench

Back and forth between the boat and bench during the shaping process

Checking for fit

After the 3rd board was attached and many hours of sanding another coat of primer, I have started work on the brass keel band.

Raw stock, drilled for oval stainless steel screws

Drilled and ready for final alignment and keel fairing to the band.

Advertisements
 
6 Comments

Posted by on April 2, 2010 in Building Stage

 

Tags: ,

6 responses to “Working the Planks, False Keel, and shaping the false Stem

  1. mustafa bilal gönül

    June 15, 2010 at 1:22 am

    Hi,

    Guiding is a lot of work, thank you

    The following measures do you say happy

    Brass keel bands
    Thickness:?
    Width:?

    Regards, greetings

     
    • twsg2009

      June 15, 2010 at 6:07 pm

      My Brass Keel Band is made from Brass half oval bar from Alaskan Copper part number 156348. (3/4 x 3/16 12 ft half oval bar)

       
  2. Ryan Hopkins

    April 23, 2010 at 10:12 am

    Hey, I’m a big fan of your build. I have been contemlating the Ebihen 16 for a year or so. I bought the study plans about 2 weeks ago. In the quantity for the ply is 11 peices of ply for the bulkheads backbone and rudder and misc. The format of the ply is in 2 500 X 1 220 I guess this is cmSQ. My question is how many pieces of ply did you use to make the full framing for the hull before planking? Did you scarf the long side of the ply to make 8X8 sheets of ply for the patterns?

     
    • twsg2009

      April 23, 2010 at 9:36 pm

      Hi Ryan! There may be a difference between the Ebihen 15 and Ebihen 16 but I was able to cut out all my bulkhead, backbone pieces, etc from standard 4×8 sheet plywood. The Ebihen 16 may be just large enough to require a different process (such as scarfing to 8×8 sheets, I don’t know) I purchased my plywood from Forest Lumber in Southern CA and used Meranti Hydrotek plywood . Ply thickness was a little off also from plans, so I made adjustment cuts as necessary to match widths when required. It all makes more sense when you actually are doing the work. 4×8 sheets are a bit smaller then the metric sizes indicated so I was very careful to pre plan each board following the layout provided in the plans. I had to modify the MDF patterns a bit as I could not locate a large enough panel of MDF to match the plans. My long spalls ended up being too large for the MDF so I butt scarfed these together as you might notice in a few of my construction photo’s. I only scarfed to 4×16 sheets to make the hull strakes.

       
  3. Paula

    April 20, 2010 at 1:51 pm

    Wow! It has come a long way. You must be getting very excited!

     
    • twsg2009

      April 21, 2010 at 5:34 pm

      It only looks like I have because of the camera angle and the simi-finished look of the keel. It was only a dry fit, and I will need to complete another 2/3 of the hull along with complete exterior painting before turning over again to outfit the interior. Still on the list of major work to accomplish; Mast, Rudder, boom, centerboard and all rigging. I also need to buy a motor, have a trailer built, and order sails. (I might ge done by Christmas :<)

       

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s